Sunday, October 21, 2007

Copper crusted vessel







I am sure enjoying making vessels for the textile challenge group. This one started with a piece of fabric I dyed a year or more ago, I crinkled and tied it up as it dried to try and get wrinkles and has stitched it to a piece of felt.
I folded over the top three inches and stitched the side to form a tube, then stitched a piece of timtex to the bottom. I added pieces of silky copper, heated with the heat gun, painted tyvek, crocheted hairy yarns, some copper mesh and painted lace, and a couple of plastic rings covered with hand dyed ribbon yarn. Then I used some copper lumiere paint to drybrush some color all over the piece. I have a really cool silicon baster mom got me this summer, it works great for just adding a little paint.
I wanted the vessel to have a little bit squished shape, so I painted more timtex and made a tube for the inside, a little bit smaller than the outside. As I stitched the piece inside I drew in some of the shape with the thread, then added beads that pulled it in a little more, and added some felt beads too. I think I am done-lol.



3 comments:

Dana said...

Linda, your work is just beautiful! I think what I love best about it is the rich use of warm color and the MOVEMENT in every piece. It all has a certain sweeping "alive-ness" that just makes me want to dance or sway in rythym with it. And your pictures are good, but boy, one really needs to see your items in person to appreciate the intricacy and earthy beauty of them! Keep creating your world...it's wonderful!

Dana :)

Unknown said...

I agree with Dana, lots of rythym in your pieces; must be your love of the ocean that carries over into your work. Your color palettes are always so rich. I'm madly trying to catch up and create a few vessels!

Micki said...

Wow, this is terrific. Love all that texture and the color is super.