While visiting my brother and family for Thanksgiving, I was working on these to donate to the comfort doll project.
I started with a raw silk piece I painted and stitched a long while ago. I removed most of the hand stitched yarns and embellishments and cut out nine shapes.
The good news is my sister in law and her mom bought all nine of them! So now I need to make more, but that is ok, they were fun and I have all sorts of ideas for different fabrics and embellishments.
I used a circle of muslin over a glass glob for the faces, gathered it around the back then stitched to the stuffed dolls. Was going to ask my nephew Sam to draw faces but they were pretty tiny. My SIL had the perfect face stamp! I added some tyvek and cheesecloth, crochet yarn strands, ribbon bead trims, little rolled fabric beads and my favorite hairy yarns. The triangle doll was a piece for the original whole piece with lots of hand stitching and I didn't want to cut thru it, so I kept the triangle shape.
I will post pics in a few days of the next batch I make, that truly will go to comfortdolls.